Thursday, December 09, 2004

My first SEEN final

I have a final tomorrow.

I have to do research for it. That's right, research so they can know what I learned from the class. Sound absurd?

It gets worse.

The research I have to do is to get secondary sources. Yes, I have to look up what critics say about literary criticism - and I have to put their opinions and their views into my paper.

That's right. Not my views. Not my opinions. Not what I learned. Oh no. That would be a very poor essay.

No, no. I have to put the views and opinions of critics on my final test, so my teacher can know that I learned something in the class this semester.

Please, if this makes any sense to anyone - Please, Please explain to me how!

Because frankly, I think it is ridiculous!

That's it. I'm done.

-RK

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

It's called regurgitation. It's how lazy teachers make sure you learned the information. Now, they can grade all the essays with essentially the same rubric and dock you off if you miss something, instead of reading everyone's original essay and having to think. You work so they don't have to or at least that's my sarcastic and overly pessimistic view from this side of the pond.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Ralikat said...

Except for the fact that the critics that I have to talk about are not critics discussed in class. These are articles I have to look up in the library and quote in my test - like you would write a research paper with a 'works cited' page.

That's not regurgitation - it's torture!

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home