Monday, October 25, 2004

Why are we "Pros"?

Why do we put the "pro" in procrastination? Perhaps what makes us honors students is our ability to pull together any half-assed [insert random assignment here] right at the last minute? The very fact that we have some work in comparison to no work from other students makes us look better.

I know how I learn. I understand what consists of my ideal situation for studying. So why do I wait till the night before to rush around trying to directly pour knowledge from books into my brain? Why do I start considering potential essay questions long after probation closed on my ability to formulate an argument? Indeed, perhaps therapists would consider such intellectual inaction a self-destructive act, as real as an overdose.

Am I alone? I doubt it. We intentionally make life harder on ourselves. It was a decision to procrastinate, albeit an easy one. :-) So why do we take pride in this mismanagement in our lives? Does "crunch time" just bring out the best in us? Oh, I hope so, 'cause I'm in it.

I'm Greg and I approve this post.

This post was brought to you by the Foundation For Procrastination on Philosophy Class, a very non-profit organization.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

I'm tired. I'm awake, because I have procrastinated.

I think I'll set that to post itself automatically into my blog every night. It would rarely be a lie. Except for the nights when I'm actively (passively?) procrastinating.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Resident Apt. Six said...

I think there is a two part explanation for why we procrastinate. Part one: we don't know how to turn it off after we start something, ie, studying for a test or writing a paper. So to prevent us from spending days and hours on something that requires far less time and that we didn't have to actually visit Uzbekistan to do orginal research for we wait to start. Part two: we have gotten away with it for so long succesfully that why would we change?

1:27 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Amen and amen.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Ralikat said...

That is the WORST and yet the BEST explanation of our procastinating that I have ever heard.

I unabashedly agree.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Gunnella said...

HEar hear ;-) Best explanation I´ve heard so far ....

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home